Las Vegas Federal Lawyers
Don’t let a complex federal system limit the justice you deserve.
The majority of legal issues in this country, whether they involve civil claims or criminal charges, are typically handled by state courts. This generally means that most attorneys have very little experience in the federal court system. The stakes can be incredibly high in a federal case and require skilled advocacy with knowledge of federal court process and procedures. Although federal courts are considered courts of limited jurisdiction (meaning only a select number of cases can end up there), there are certain situations where federal jurisdiction applies or the details suggest the matter should be moved to federal court.
The procedural rules for litigating in federal court are different than at the state level. However, irrespective of which court you’re in, the formula for success requires extensive preparation, attention to detail, and a thorough understanding of the law relevant to a particular case. If you’re in federal court in Nevada, you’ll want an experienced federal litigation attorney handling your case. Things can move quickly in federal court, and if you’re involved in any type of federal legal proceeding, it’s vital to work with federal lawyers who have the skill and experience necessary to protect your best interests and pursue your case at the highest level.
At Paul Padda Law, we strive to make your case our cause. Our team of Las Vegas attorneys is comprised of former federal prosecutors and fierce litigators who possess valuable insight into the federal court system. Our team will fight for the best possible result in every case. We know what’s on the line for our clients. So, from the moment that you retain our federal attorneys, we’ll work to understand what success means to you and implement a strategy aimed at achieving your objectives.
With over 20 years of comprehensive legal experience and a proven history of delivering outstanding legal service and compassionate client care across Nevada and other states, Paul Padda Law can offer the guidance and effective representation you need as you assert your rights in federal court. Contact our Las Vegas federal lawyers at (702) 366-1888 or via our online form today and request a free consultation.
When You Need a Federal Lawyer
If you’re considering legal action or you’ve been thrust into a situation that you barely understand, it’s very important to know your rights and to work with attorneys familiar with your case. This means attorneys that appreciate what avenues will put you in the best possible position. Even if your legal issue seems straightforward, you’ll likely benefit from discussing the matter with a knowledgeable lawyer who can explain all your options, including when federal rules and procedures apply.
Some issues will always be handled by federal courts, such as alleged violations of federal statutes, including federal employment laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, gender, color, national origin, or religion. Cases can also end up in federal court based upon “diversity jurisdiction.” This occurs when the parties involved reside in different states. For example, if you’re injured in a truck accident in Nevada and wish to file suit against the negligent trucking company, which is based in Illinois, you can do so in federal court. Because of the intricacies involved with federal rules and procedures, it’s always smart to discuss federal issues with a capable federal attorney who can offer practical advice and proactive solutions. An attorney that has frequently litigated cases in federal court. Our founder, Paul S. Padda, is a former federal prosecutor and civil trial attorney for the United States Department of Justice. He has litigated countless federal cases in federal courts across the United States.
At Paul Padda Law, we take a strategic and well-measured approach to every case and focus on what’s best for our clients from day one. With a wealth of experience and a reputation for achieving positive outcomes, our Las Vegas federal lawyers represent individuals across Nevada in a full range of legal issues within the federal court system. The federal judges in Nevada are very familiar with Paul Padda Law and respect the high quality of work produced by the firm and its skilled lawyers. The federal court system works differently than state courts in many ways. In civil matters, federal courts can typically only hear cases authorized by the United States Constitution or federal statutes, making it essential to work with an attorney familiar with federal court practice.
Our Federal Court Attorneys Can Assist With Many Important Types Of Cases
- WHISTLEBLOWER / QUI TAM CASES – The federal laws incentivize people that blow the whistle on fraud against the federal government and allow them to receive a portion of any recovery obtained by the federal government against the wrongdoers. If you have personal knowledge of a fraud against the federal government, whether by a medical provider or any other participant in a federal program, you need an experienced whistleblower attorney by your side.
- CIVIL RIGHTS – We believe that civil rights are human rights and should be defended at every turn. Examples of civil rights violations include discrimination, harassment, and police brutality, among other abuses. If you or a loved one has been victimized, it’s time to consult a skilled civil rights lawyer and potentially set things right. Whether you’re seeking to sue under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for employment discrimination or wishing to bring a “Section 1983” action, we can help.
- FEDERAL TORT CLAIMS ACT – If you’ve been injured due to the negligence of the federal government or a federal employee, you might have legal recourse under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). These lawsuits can be lengthy and complicated, so it’s important to speak with a highly experienced federal attorney prepared to go up against the federal government. Whether you were the victim of medical malpractice at a VA facility or you were rear-ended by a postal truck (or car driven by a federal employee), we can help you bring an FTCA case.
- CONSTITUTIONAL VIOLATIONS BY FEDERAL EMPLOYEES – The Constitution of the United States affords certain protections from abuse by government agents. These are commonly referred to as “Bivens” actions. If you believe that a government representative has infringed upon these rights and caused you harm, contact a constitutional lawyer as soon as possible about obtaining the justice you deserve.
- VETERANS AFFAIRS MEDICAL MALPRACTICE – The veterans of our nation’s armed forces deserve our highest gratitude and respect for all they’ve done to serve our country. When they’ve been wronged by the government or suffered malpractice due to negligence caused by an overwhelmed and underfunded Department of Veteran Affairs, they’re entitled to recover what’s fair with help from a skilled federal attorney. At Paul Padda Law, we’ve handled many cases involving medical malpractice by the VA with great success. We are committed to helping our veterans and getting them justice.
Understanding The Federal Court System
We offer support, relief, and practical guidance in a difficult time.
Lawsuits can be pursued in either state or federal courts. Ultimately, how a lawsuit progresses is determined by the unique facts and the procedures of the particular court. In some situations, a case may even be transferred against the will of a party bringing the suit from state to federal court if appropriate jurisdiction exists. For this reason, it’s important to have an attorney that is familiar with how to effectively handle cases in both state and federal courts. Having a case in federal court has benefits and drawbacks. For instance, federal cases usually progress faster than those at the state level which is certainly a benefit if you’re the party bringing the case. On the other hand, federal courts require a unanimous jury verdict in civil cases whereas in Nevada state court only a three-fourth (75%) majority of jurors need to find in your favor for you to win. Thus, if you have a 8-person jury, only 6 jurors need to find in your favor for you to win your case in Nevada state court.
By working with a proficient federal attorney, you can evaluate the specifics of your case and make calculated decisions as to where your case should be filed, or if necessary, argue for it to remain a state matter.
Generally, legal issues fall under federal jurisdiction if they relate to:
- Geographical diversity between the parties – Even if a case only involves state law, it can end up in federal court if each party lives in a different state. This is called diversity jurisdiction. Thus, in this scenario, although the case will be in federal court, state law will apply.
- Constitutional questions – A case that involves questions of Constitutional law can be heard in federal court.
- Civil Rights – Cases that involve federal civil rights statutes, such 42 U.S.C. § 1983, can be heard in federal court.
- Class Actions – These are intricate cases with multiple parties, often requiring federal resources. Under the Class Action Fairness Act of 2005, most class actions end up in federal court.
- Environmental Law – Federal regulations are given priority over state law. Thus, if there is a federal law concerning an environmental issue, it can be a basis for federal jurisdiction.
- Cases involving federal benefits – A lawsuit involving federal benefits, such as entitlement to Social Security, can only be brought in federal courts.
Depending on your specific state, individuals with legal business in federal court may see:
- Beneficial discovery practices
- A more impartial setting
- Possible precedent binding on the court
- The right to jury trial in some cases
- Faster trials
- Wider jury selection
If you have questions about a possible federal issue and wish to speak with a federal lawyer in Las Vegas or the Nevada area, we encourage you to reach out to us for a free, initial consultation.
Our Federal Lawyers Are Here To Defend And Assert Your Rights
When you’re ready to pursue justice at the federal level, we work for you.
Federal cases in Nevada and across the country have a distinct complexity. Attorneys handling federal lawsuits and other actions at the federal level need to be aware of constantly evolving precedents, intricate filing processes, and familiarity with high-stakes federal litigation. Things happen fast in the federal system, and without effective and proactive legal assistance, your case may suffer.
$400,000 Settlement for Civil Rights Violation
When a prominent executive was fired after he raised civil rights issues, Paul Padda Law fought to secure the justice he deserved and helped him get a $400,000 settlement. The firm has recovered millions for veterans who have been injured due to malpractice or negligence. Paul Padda Law is a premiere federal litigation firm handling cases throughout Nevada and the United States.
Contact A Federal Lawyer With Paul Padda Law Today
Due to our extensive background as federal prosecutors and decades of federal litigation experience, Paul Padda Law and our Las Vegas federal attorneys have argued in federal court cases at virtually every level. There is little we haven’t come across and we utilize our skills and insights for the benefit of every client. We take our responsibility to protect your rights very seriously. In the end, we use every possible resource to make the federal system work for your interests.
We offer free initial consultations where you can speak directly with a knowledgeable member of the Paul Padda Law team about what our firm can do for you. Call us today at (702) 366-1888 or via our online form.