Expenses pile up quickly when you are injured in a car accident. Just for starters, your bills will include the ambulance ride and emergency room visit, where you’re charged for the physician’s time, diagnostic tests, and medical treatments. If you require surgery or have to remain in the hospital for several days or weeks, the medical bills can become astronomical. In the weeks or months following the accident, you may need several doctor’s visits, prescription medications, medical devices, physical rehabilitation, and more. If you have health insurance, there is some financial help. However, there is still your deductible to consider, and your insurer may not even cover 100 percent of everything after that.

It is a story we hear time and time again at Paul Padda Law. You are injured in a car accident when another driver crashes into you. You suffer serious injuries and have thousands of dollars in medical bills. Then, your worst fear happens. The insurer refuses to compensate you: the insurance policy limit is too low.

Unfortunately, this is all too common when drivers only carry Nevada’s minimum requirement for auto insurance. When the at-fault driver has only $25,000 per person/$50,000 per crash bodily injury liability insurance, your bills can exceed this limit. In this situation, it is best to contact an experienced Las Vegas car accident attorney from Paul Padda Law to find out what to do next.

You can reach us online or call (702) 366-1888. We offer free consultations, and there is never an up-front cost unless we recover compensation.

When Your Medical Bills Exceed the Policy Limit

You may have one or several options when your medical expenses after a crash cost more than the at-fault driver’s insurance policy limit.

Option One – Look for an additional insurance policy.

If you have underinsured motorist coverage, then your policy can cover the gap between the at-fault driver’s insurance and your medical expenses. Or, if the at-fault driver was in a rental or borrowed vehicle, the vehicle owner may have a relevant insurance policy. At Paul Padda Law, we always look to see if there is more than one insurance policy that may cover your medical expenses.

Option Two – Seek more than the policy limit.

It is rare but sometimes possible to get an insurance company to pay more than the policy limit. However, this is not something you will achieve yourself. You need to work with an experienced car accident lawyer who is confident in filing suit against the at-fault driver and insurer. At Paul Padda Law, we will carefully review your circumstances and advise you of whether this is a possibility.

Option Three – File a personal injury lawsuit.

You may choose to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver and seek to hold them personally responsible for your damages. If you obtain a favorable judgment, your car accident lawyer can take steps to collect from the driver. However, this has its pitfalls when the negligent driver has little-to-no assets or income. It may cost you time and money to pursue a lawsuit that will not be effective in obtaining compensation.

Option Four – Negotiate with the medical provider or health insurer.

If you are unable to secure enough compensation through an insurance settlement or a personal injury suit to cover all of your medical expenses, then you will have outstanding bills with the medical provider or your health insurance company. In this situation, it is essential to work with an experienced attorney. We will negotiate with the relevant company to reduce your overall cost. We will ask for the provider to accept a reduced amount, which can help you pay off the bills and avoid being sent to collections in the future.

Contact Us When Your Medical Expenses Exceed the Insurance Policy Limit

Medical expenses can exceed insurance policy limits in all types of accidents, not just car crashes. At Paul Padda Law, we have seen this issue come up after slip and falls, property accidents, and workplace injuries. Whatever your situation, when you suffer serious injuries and have a high amount of medical bills, you need to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer who will strive to get what you deserve and limit your losses.

Contact Paul Padda Law at (702) 366-1888 or through our online form to schedule your free, no-risk case consultation.